Shimla, Himachal Pradesh
Shimla – the queen of hills is situated at an altitude of approx 6,988 ft and draped in the forest of pine and oak in the lap of beautiful mountains. It is the capital city of Himachal Pradesh and was declared the summer capital of British Raj in India in 1864. The enchanting beauty of Shimla made them to do so. Shimla is the most popular tourist destination in India during summer season. Shimla is a boon for the people who are indulged in adventurous sports like river rafting, trekking, rock climbing and skiing. The hill station offers you the adorable view of hills, valleys, mountains and the beauty of nature. The natural beauty of Shimla attracts many tourists every year. People visits Shimla and remained to stay here because of the adorable beauty of nature, beautiful sightseeing and lakes. The centre of attraction in Shimla is its colonial aura, grand old buildings, malls, shops, etc. Shimla is connected to the city of Kalka by one of the longest railway route. The city is named after the goddess ‘Shyamala Devi’ which was an incarnation of Hindu Goddess ‘Kali’. Shimla is a place where you would like to go and lost in the beautiful valleys of Himalayas.
How to reach Shimla :
- By Air – The nearest airport is Jubarhati, which is approx 23 kilometers from Shimla. Taxies are available on airport and you can easily take taxi from airport for Shimla and you can ask you hotel to arrange a taxi for you at airport. This may be not be a reliable option to travel by air because airport is far from the town.
- By Taxi – Taxi is the fastest and most comfortable way to reach Shimla and you can enjoy the scenic beauty of hills, mountains and pleasant weather. The best way to reach Shimla is by Chandigarh and Kalka and it will take approx 8 hours to reach there. But you can catch the breathtaking beauty of nature by travelling through roads and it is very comfortable journey if you would prefer to go Shimla by taxi or Volvo. I will suggest you to take a taxi and enjoy the scenic beauty of nature.
Five leading destinations in Shimla:-
- The Shimla state museum: – The Museum is situated at the top of Mount pleasant and it was opened in 1974. Museum was made to preserve the cultural wealth of state. There is a huge classic collection of sculptures, pahari paintings, handicrafts, costumes, jewellery of region and coin.
- Jakhoo hill:- The hill is situated 2 KM from Shimla at the height of approx 8000 ft, which the highest peak on entire hill station and people can catch the beautiful view of town and snow covered mountain peak. This hill is the famous attraction for nature lovers. There is a ancient Jakhoo temple which has a large statue of Hanuman.
- Summer Hill: – The hill is also known as the name of ‘potter’s hill’ because in ancient time potter used to gather clay to make pots. It is located at the distance of 5 KM from Ridge at the height of 6,500 ft. Sometimes during summer Mahatma Gandhi used to visit in these quiet surroundings of Shimla. Himachal Pradesh University is also situated here. We are sure you will catch the breathtaking views from the hill and you will never forget this beautiful cluster of seven hills.
- Kufri : – The place is located 19 KM away from Shimla at an altitude of 2510 meter. The hill attracts nature lovers and adventurous people because in winter season the visitors have the facilities of skiing and it is at its best during January and February. It has the Himalayan wild life zoo that delights children. Kufri is a lovely picnic spot with beautiful view and Snowy Mountain peaks.
- Annandale: – It is one of the star attractions in Shimla. It is located around 2-4 km away from ridge at the height of 6,117 ft. It is favorite spot for cricket, picnic and polo because this was once the playground for the British. Racing is also a popular sport people like to play here.
I must say the people who have visited Shimla are the lucky one and they would agree with my word which I have used to describe the natural beauty of Shimla. Actually the words are not enough to describe the nature’s beauty but I am sure this attempt will let you know about the adorable beauty of Shimla and Himachal Pradesh. I suggest you to visit once in a life to the lovely valleys and pleasant scenic hills of Shimla.